Friday, July 22, 2011

In Case You Missed It --

I can't imagine anyone reads this who ISN'T already facebook friends with Jason and me (and if you aren't, you should be, as that is updated much more frequently), but, in case you missed it, we found out last night that we're having a GIRL!

Jason's thought all along that it's a boy. I did at first, and then I took this very laissez faire attitude, you know, it could be either; I was getting feelings both ways, none of them particularly strong. Well, it became clear that, unknown to myself, I too had been thinking of little Delano as a boy, because last night, this happened:

Ultrasound tech: This is the butt...and...are you ready?
Us, in unison: Yes!
UT: It's a girl!
Us, in unison: REALLY??

To be honest, it was surprisingly surprising. And then I realized that all the names I'd been thinking about were boy names, and all the clothes I'd been thinking about were boy clothes. It felt exciting and insane that very suddenly we were going to have a daughter. Truth be told, our preliminary girl name list is MUCH longer (and, quite honestly, better). And -- I'm saying it for the first time of many, I'm sure, right now -- as long as I can steer people away from too much pink and silly pattern and over-ruffled and wordy (that's right, please don't buy the baby "Daddy's little rocker!" onesies; I find it somehow weird to put words on a baby), I think dressing a girl will be fun. (I've been doing it my own whole life, and throughout the lives of my many beloved nieces.)

This morning, I woke up, and I can quite honestly say I've never been so excited about anything in my life. And those of you who know me KNOW that I'm excited, like, A LOT. I started thinking about raising a kick-ass girl, and -- I will later shake my head at having said this, I'm sure -- but I feel like I can do that! And I started thinking of all the girls/women I know who are the oldest in the family (I'm the youngest, and my brother the oldest), and they are ALL kick-ass! Furthermore: The nieces are pleased that it will be another girl joining them at the Niece Sleepovers, my mom and I are excited about adding a fourth generation to our lady-Oscar-Night tradition, all the Sumerton women I know are pretty incredible, and I have heard that girls are the ones who take care of you when you're old (and as we have yet to start a 401K, that will be helpful).

So! Pictures! Here she is:


She has eye sockets, and a spine, and kidneys and stuff! Her legs are flipped over her head, like a little yogi (which seems fitting, as both of her parents have been going to yoga weekly since before she was conceived). Her mouth moves (we saw it!).

More soon! Thanks, by the way, for all the love, you guys. It has felt really great to have so many people so happy for us. We're pretty sure we have the best, most supportive friends in the world (you know how I love a superlative -- especially when I really mean it!).

No comments:

Post a Comment